For Posterity

Sargeant Pullover modeled

Today, I am winging my way to Portugal for my first European vacation since 2004 (!!!!!!!). But before I go, I’m here to wrap up the Sargent Pullover/SSKAL saga. Because, if I may remind you, I finished and, as you can see, it actually fits!

I know this isn’t the greatest picture. It was taken in haste last weekend by Keith after we left a baby shower for our dear friends. I wanted to take advantage of the last opportunity to get some modeled shots before the light went away and things got busy again with the start of the work week and vacation prep, so I hope you’ll forgive me my crumpled skirt and the somewhat unflattering angle of the photo. I was hoping to show you something that would give you a full impression of how awesome this sweater is and how well it fits, but I’m in a rush so this one will just have to do.

Though this sweater is imperfect, like most of my makes, there is so much to love about this project. First, this pattern was super fun to knit. It was slow going at first, but I soon got into a comfortable rhythm with it and I was eventually able to stop referring to the chart and let the knitting guide me through the rounds. Surprisingly, the fit is also very good. Why is this a surprise? Because I realized when I was near the finish that I accidentally made this a size smaller than I intended to. I originally set out to make the size 36, which would have given me 1-2 inches of negative ease, but due to some convoluted reasoning that will make a lot more sense once I show you the sweater I finished immediately before this one, I somehow didn’t notice until I was ready to split the fronts from the back that I had cast on for the size 33. As you can probably guess, my sizeable bust is much larger than 33 inches, so there was a great deal of teeth gnashing and internal bargaining as I struggled to convince myself to just finish the damn thing before I gave up on it completely. In the end, my loose floats and some aggressive blocking saved the day. The sweater is quite fitted, but the waist shaping hits all the right areas so it conforms to my body’s shape like… well, like it was made to conform to my body’s shape. And, there’s more than enough room for a light layer underneath for extra warmth.

As for the bad, there are a few things, but nothing so terrible as to stop me from wearing this sweater all winter long. One thing I see very clearly in the picture is that the neckline is probably too high to be optimally flattering to my large bust. Next time (there will be a next time!) I will lower it by at least 2 inches. I’m also not really in love with raglan sleeves. They’re not terrible or anything, but I think that set-in sleeves just look better on me. The day I figure out how to modify a pattern to give me set-in sleeves instead of raglans is the day I officially win knitting.

Sargeant pullover side

My final criticism is of the pattern itself, or, to be more specific, the editing of the pattern. Though I’m enamoured with just about everything Amy Christoffers has ever designed, this pattern lacked clarity at a really important juncture. As written, you are instructed to cast on an even number of stitches for the ribbing. What the pattern fails to mention next is that it’s necessary to decrease one stitch when the ribbing is done so that you can work the 4+1 stitch colourwork pattern without interruption. As you can see, I was at least 10 rows deep before I figured out that this extra stitch was going to cause problems, which explains the gap between the bottom row of saffron and  the sapphire blob immediately above. At that point I was kind of struggling to get into a rhythm with the colourwork, so I decided to leave it alone. It’s a small mistake that is, because of its placement, completely unnoticeable unless you go looking for it.

So, that’s my Sargent Pullover. It was great fun to make! I would definitely recommend this pattern to anyone looking to get their feet wet with stranded colourwork, and I will most certainly be making myself another in the future. I mean, how could I not!?!?

Knitters: What are your feelings about stranded colourwork? Do you have any tips or tricks to share that might come in handy for the next go around?

Specs:

Pattern: Sargent Pullover by Amy Christoffers

Yarn: Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Sport in Mink Heather (main), Saffron (cc1), Sapphire Heather (cc2) and Dove Heather (cc3)

Modifications: None

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “For Posterity

    • I was intimidated by colourwork for the longest time, but stranded work is so easy with such impressive results. I have yet to attempt intarsia, though… that is my final colourwork frontier!

  1. I don’t knit, but thought I would comment. Little imperfections (that you have pointed out that I wouldn’t notice) aside, I think it looks great. Am not mentioning anything about being busty.

    • Thanks so much! I definitely struggled to get it right in the beginning, but by the end, I was sad it was over. There will be other projects in the future, though.. 🙂

  2. Pingback: 2014 In Review | Self Preservation

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s